A damaged septic tank can wreak all sorts of havoc on your property, and cause expensive repairs too. Maybe you have wastewater backing up into the household drains or a rusted septic tank is leaking sewage in your backyard. Whatever the issue, no one wants to experience plumbing problems in their Greenwood area home. While some septic tank repairs cannot be avoided, you can practice regular maintenance to help prevent any major disasters. At Curt & Jerry Sewer Service, we offer these recommendations to avoid costly septic tank repairs.
1. Old Septic Tank
If you own an older home, odds are you also own an older septic tank. Tanks older than 15 years may need to be replaced. To extend the life of your septic system, practice these maintenance tips:
- Schedule regular inspections every three years.
- Have your system pumped and cleaned every three to five years.
- Call a professional if you suspect any problems with your septic tank.
2. Corroded Septic System
A corroded septic system can result in broken pipes, clogged drains, and leaky plumbing. One of the best ways to increase the longevity of your system is to follow these guidelines:
- Never pour toxins of any kind down the drain.
- Avoid placing fat, grease, oil, coffee grounds, and other food scraps down the drain.
- Flush the drain with boiling water to help unclog any blocked pipes.
3. Overloaded Drain Field
When a drain field fills with too much liquid, it can cause sewage to back up onto your property. This is a nasty consequence of an overloaded drain field and one you want to avoid at all costs. Practice proper maintenance to help eliminate an overextended drain field.
- Do not plant trees on or near the drain field, as the roots can block the drain.
- Never park cars or heavy vehicles over the septic tank or drain field.
- Do not place playground equipment or backyard furniture on the drain field.
Professional & Courteous Service
Hopefully, you never experience major issues like these. When you do, be sure to call the professionals at Curt and Jerry. You can request service by contacting us at (317) 266-0000. We offer several expert plumbing solutions such as sewer cleaning, garbage disposal unclogging, toilet drain unclogging, and emergency service.
“How To Avoid Costly Septic System Repairs.” News article. Corridor News. Corridor Media, 05 Sep 2018 Published. 14 Apr 2020 Accessed.